Before You Travel
Unless otherwise explicitly stated, roaming charges are NOT included in any Pay Monthly allowances or bolt-ons, so make yourself aware of call, text and data charges for your destination before you travel.
- Check there is a roaming agreement with your destination and which operators’ networks are available.
- Match which Manx Telecom roaming zone your destination falls into and check the charges for making a call, receiving a call, sending a text and data usage.
- Check your mobile phone’s e-mail settings, as a phone or device automatically checking for e-mail could inadvertently run up a large bill quickly.
- Be aware of any activity that may use large amounts of data eg, gaming, viewing video and downloading software updates.
- Make sure automatic updates and applications that synchronise via the web are switched off. (For details on how to do this please refer to phone or device manufacturer’s website or refer to the Data section on our website, contact our Helpdesk on 624624 or call into our Strand shop for a quick demonstration.)
To switch off data roaming on your handset, see here.
Avoid Roaming Bill Shock
Follow the advice below to make sure you don't run up large charges while travelling off-Island.
Roaming Allowances and Protection
Some of our plans, including our newest Smart tariffs, come with data roaming charge protection built in.
As well as the tariff and roaming allowance, you want to check that roaming protection is set up and decide which option works best for you.
Roaming options include:
Data Roaming Block
Data Roaming Block provides complete peace of mind that you won’t run up large data bills when travelling off-Island. With Roaming Data Block, once your roaming allowance has run out, we will automatically block your data until you get home or the next months allowance starts.
Roaming Spend Cap
To provide some flexibility but still offer spend protection, our Roaming Spend Cap allows you to carry on using data after your allowance runs out up to a maximum of £50.
You can remove Spend Caps if you are comfortable using data abroad however, it is important to be aware that roaming data charges can add up quickly depending on your usage.
Notifications Only (With Roaming Allowance)
With this option, you will be notified when your data allowance runs out but you will still be able to carry on using data and will be charged accordingly. It is important to be aware that roaming data charges can add up quickly depending on your usage so we don’t advise this option unless you are fully aware of what data you are using and the potential cost.
No Roaming Plan
If you are currently on one of our Legacy (Withdrawn) mobile plans that don’t include a roaming allowance then the above options may not be available to you and you must be aware that roaming data charges can add up quickly depending on your usage.
In this instance, we would recommend upgrading to one of our newer mobile tariffs that include data roaming and have these spend protection benefits available. Alternatively, we would recommend you switch off mobile data if you are on one of our older tariffs when off Island.
If you wish to upgrade to a newer tariff, please contact us on 624624, call into our Strand Street store or reach out via our social channels.
During Your Trip
- Be aware of your data usage. We will notify you with a text alert when you start using data and at regular intervals. Click here for more information about these alerts.
- Use Wi-Fi networks where possible. Most major airports and hotels now have Wi-Fi availability. Make yourself familiar with the settings on your phone and ensure you are connected via Wi-Fi before use.